New Blog: CONTEMPLATIONS

New Blog:  CONTEMPLATIONS
Come on over and see my new blog

Do You Need Incentives?

A large crowd of Jews … came, not only because of him but also to see Lazarus…   John 12:9 

- “Next week, a celebrity will be speaking in our services sharing about life in Hollywood. You won’t want to miss it!”
 - “I might go to church if I could find one that started later, had a Starbucks, and made me feel good about myself.”
- “So, the Son of God is preaching. Hmm...didn’t He raise Lazarus from the dead? We want to see Lazarus!”

We would have fit right in with the crowd who wanted to see Lazarus. Jesus was about to sacrifice Himself for the sins of the world, yet the people had to have an extra incentive to seek Him. Nothing has changed. Jesus still isn’t enough to attract most crowds. (Consider the turnout for “just a prayer meeting.”) It was the same in Jesus’ day. John 6:66 is as relevant now as it was then. (Look it up). Human nature is always pushing to make the gospel man-centered. The fact that Almighty God took on human flesh and descended from heaven to be tortured to death for us is ho-hum. Our default attitude is often “Sure, God is great and what-not, but what’s in it for me? I’m too busy/tired/angry/distracted to seek Him—unless there’s a prize.” Even when Jesus was on earth healing people, performing miracles, and feeding crowds, few wanted Him for Himself. They only wanted what He could do for them. Like us, they craved the sensational. No magic tricks? No celebrities? No free stuff? No thanks.

Final Thought:  Check your heart. Is Jesus Himself enough to attract you or do you require extra incentives?


Prayer: Lord God, I’m convicted by how offensive this attitude must be to you. I take so lightly the huge sacrifice you made so that I could know you. Please forgive me and help me get to the place where I want Jesus for Himself. In His name, Amen. 
.

No comments: