New Blog: CONTEMPLATIONS

New Blog:  CONTEMPLATIONS
Come on over and see my new blog

Resolutions Anyone?




















Do you make New Year's resolutions?

Do you consistently break your New Year's resolutions? I quit making them years ago when I realized they didn't mean anything.

New Year's is a good time to stop and reflect on the year behind you, but as we stare ahead into the vast blank future, it's impossible to gauge the temperature of your life or how events will change you twelve months in advance.


Instead of New Year's resolutions--which end up being too big and always disappoint--I've started making daily resolutions. There is a lot of wisdom in the little poem that begins "Just for today, I will..."


I can't handle a whole year at a time. One twenty-four hour period is often more than enough to deal with at once. So for the past few months, I've tried to begin my day on my knees, with a fresh start before God. I consider the ways I messed up the day before, and ask for help to straighten up "just for today." If I can live with integrity and honor for this one day, I will have accomplished God's purpose in giving it to me.

Daily resolutions can begin something like this:

  • Just for today, I will love more and criticize less.
  • Just for today, I will let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable unto the Lord.
  • Just for today, I will not worry about the future, my family, or the economy, but trust that God is in control.

What a feeling of satisfaction when you lie down after a stressful day, take your inventory, and recognize that "just for today," you did it!

So if yearly resolutions are too big to handle, try daily ones. Success is much easier in bite-sized chunks!

Make that your New Year's resolution! And have a terrific one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!