Notice his eyes. He's not even looking at his own reflection. He's watching Dad to see how it's done. Then he tries to copy it.
That's how we learn.
Jesus did the same thing. John 5:19 records these words: " Jesus said, 'I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself. He does only what he sees the Father doing. Whatever the Father does, the Son also does'."
That's hard for us to get our minds around. Jesus was fully God, even while on earth. So why would he say he could do nothing by himself? Why would he need to watch his Father to learn?
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then absolute obedience is humility perfected. Jesus set the example for us by not doing anything of his own initiative. He waited on his Father's timing and instruction.
Philippians chapter 2 lays out the road map for us when it instructs us to "have the same mindset that Jesus had when he set aside all rights as God and humbled himself to come to earth and take on flesh and blood."
Jesus is our model. If he attempted nothing on his own, then so much more should we take our cues only from God. When we take our eyes off Jesus and start acting of our own accord we are headed for trouble, just as Sam would have suffered if he'd set aside the plastic razor and picked up the one with the real blade.
- How many of your problems were caused by you acting on your own initiative?
- How much of your stress comes from burdens you've placed on yourself--drudgery that has no eternal value?
- How much disillusionment or disappointment stems from your trying to "do God's work" in your own strength? Maybe He never asked you to do it.
Notice what Jesus says:
I only work when I see My Father already there.
- What if you determined from this day forward you would take on only the tasks that God initiated?
- What if you evaluated every item on your To-Do list in light of its eternal significance, eliminating those that don't matter?
- What if you lived in such sync with the Holy Spirit that you heard His voice and only did what He asked you to do?
- How much would that lighten your load?
The secret: He never acted alone.
What if you did the same thing?