New Blog: CONTEMPLATIONS

New Blog:  CONTEMPLATIONS
Come on over and see my new blog

Family Resemblance

They've grown up together. Each guy is 8 months apart in age, the youngest in the middle. Sam and Luke and Tim. Cousins. They don't get to see each other very often now, so when we all get together we moms compare and analyze which family members they look like.

My sister's son Luke has the Davis eyes and Tim looks like his dad, my brother. My son Sam is all McCombs, but there is something about the eyebrows that looks like both Luke and Tim.

Family resemblance. We all look for it. We like finding similarities in those of our blood and find a sense of belonging when we see it in ourselves. It's part of what makes us family. We look alike.

God's family is no different. When we are bought into the family of God through His Son, we start to take on His family resemblance. We can't help it. It's part of what Jesus meant by being born again. We are born into a new bloodline and we start to look like our Father.

Jesus said, "If you've seen me, you've seen my Father." He was that confident in his identity because he knew that his life and actions were the same as His Father's would be.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of God's adopted children could say the same thing? What if you could say with humble confidence, "If you've seen me, you've seen my big Brother."

That is God's plan for us. He loves to see Himself in us. He delights in finding a family resemblance. That should delight us too.

.

No comments: