New Blog: CONTEMPLATIONS

New Blog:  CONTEMPLATIONS
Come on over and see my new blog

Hearing God



As all the men of Judah stood before the LORD...the Spirit of the LORD came upon one of the men… 2 Chron. 20:13-14)

Beth's pastor finished speaking and she frowned at him. “You’ve said exactly what my mom and best friend said. But I've been praying and praying about my situation so long. Why won't God speak to me?” Her pastor smiled. “What would God’s answer look like? Skywriting? Registered letter? Angelic appearance?” Beth laughed. “I never thought about that. You mean maybe God is speaking to me through these other people? Just like he did in Second Chronicles? I guess I expected something else. Maybe I've missed a lot of His answers by expecting something else.”

The people of Israel may have expected something else, too, when they cried out to the Lord. They were all praying, all seeking God, but only one man received the answer. They may have wondered, as Beth did, why God wasn’t speaking to all of them. But God chooses His own mouthpieces. He knows which heart is pure enough to hear, which spirit knows Him well enough to recognize His voice, and who will be the most effective messenger. God will guide anyone who desires to follow His will, but He often does it ways we do not expect. He then confirms His answer through circumstances, His word, and godly people. Wise followers are those who have tuned their hearts to hear His voice, however it may arrive. We position ourselves to hear from God when we remain pure in heart and expect His answer to come in unexpected ways.

Recall some ways in which God has guided you. Did some of them come from unexpected avenues?

.

No comments: